7/31/08

Miscellaneous interior features 1

While I was stripping the trunk and floor I was also rounding up additional parts I wanted to install on my car to make it more like the TV cars as well as making it my dream ride. I purchased the deluxe light group harness, fittings and clock from John Haney at BlueOval.com and also picked up the deluxe dome light with map lights and a NOS power trunk release on eBay.

The deluxe light group consists of the underhood and trunk lights, ash tray and glovebox lights, driver and passenger side footwell courtesy lights and headlight and wiper control illumination. The in-dash clock also came with the necessary wiring to plug into the main harness.

The dome with dual map lights was actually part of the deluxe light group but it was a separate item from Blue Oval. Since the map lights were independent of the dome light, a dedicated hot lead had to be run from a hot tab on the fuse box up to the dome light assembly. To make identification easy, I used a red wire and let it run parallel with the dome light lead. Since the hot wire terminal of the maps and dome light circuits also served as the mounting point of the dome assembly, the screw had to be isolated from ground (the sheetmetal crossbrace), so I used a small square plastic insert (like the plastic nut used on license plate brackets) on two of the three mounting points. I drilled an undersized hole and rocked the bit from side to side to make the hole more obround to grip the insert securely. For the ground terminal I just drilled the correct size hole for the screw to thread itself into the roof brace.































The power trunk release also required a hot lead, so I made a piggy back connection with the map light at the fuse box terminal. Since the trunk release is a momentary load and a rarely used option, I doubt there will ever be a time that I have both map lights on and then open the glovebox and trip the trunk lock. Even if I do, the load will be brief.

The trunk light needed a hot feed too so I tapped into the red hot lead to the map lights. At the point where the wire starts up the sail panel, I cut into it and made a Y connection. One red wire runs on up to the map lights and the other red wire runs parallel with the black wire under the package shelf out to the deck lid and through the underside reinforcement to the lamp location and on to the trunk release.

Well that's all for this installment but stay tuned for more.....

ZEBRA 3 OUT

No comments: