7/13/08

Back on track....

Kinda got side tracked there with the seats, so let's see if I can get back on track. As I was saying earlier, my first project was to just convert the interior over to black. Pulled the seats, door panels, dash pad, package shelf, windshield post trim, side window interior trim, rear side trim panels and everything looked normal. I did notice a sticker on the driver's side rear seat quarter panel interior bulkhead but didn't think too much about it. I removed the sail panels interior trim panels and coat hooks and started removing the headliner and still nothing looked out of the ordinary, but as I started removing the sound deadeners the problem started to show.

When I removed the roof insulation from the area above the driver side rear passenger seat, the bondo pigtails became visible....




























then when I pulled the insulation from the drivers rear sail panel area, the structural damage became evident.....















when I removed the seat back insulation sheet I discovered the driver's side package shelf reinforcement was slightly buckled as well....





















This was when I called upon the body shop manager for his evaluation and was advised if I were going to do this car right, I should just go ahead and do it all now and not have to pull the car apart twice. Well as I pondered my options I thought if I were going to strip this thing down to the bare shell, then I might as well rebuild the car in the configuration I would have ordered it in had I had the opportunity to do so back in 1976.

Since I had sent the VIN into Ford Customer Service and knew what the original factory installed options were and I knew I was going to clone the season 2-4 Hero cars, a visit to StarskyTorino.com revealed the Hero cars were also equipped with the following additional options:
Dual Remote Controlled Chrome Mirrors
Deluxe Light Group
Deluxe Bumper Group
Intermitted (Delay) Wipers
Tilt Steering Column
Illuminated Passenger Side Vanity Mirror
Power Seat
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Electric Clock
Security Lock Group
Luggage Compartment Trim

Additional items to be installed during the rebuild will include:
Pioneer AM/FM/8 Track Supertuner In-dash Stereo radio (NOS)
5-Band Stereo Equalizer
Pioneer 5 way speakers
Motorola Micor 6 channel FM Police Radio with Microphone or Handset
Federal Signal Siren Controller with Dynamax Speaker
Southern Products Magnetic Teardrop Revolving Red Light
14 x 7 & 15 x 8 1/2 Aluminum Slot Mags
Hooker Super Comp headers
Flowmaster 40 Series 2 1/2" Mufflers
Complete 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust System

Now that I have a direction and a plan, the process of stripping, refinishing and optioning the car begins. I think I'll end this session right there and I'll talk a bit about the stripping of the floor & trunk in my next installment. Until then......

ZEBRA 3 OUT

No comments: