6/26/08

Interior Motives

Upon arrival of my new Tomato, I decided the first project would be to redo the interior. Basically the interior was in pretty good shape, but the driver's seat was worn and needed to be reupholstered and the door panels weren't in the best of shape either, so I decided that's where I'd begin.






















I knew I was going to go with black but I wanted something that had a hint of the exterior color and something that would be unique to my car. I had seen the Sport interior in black with the red stripe around the seat inserts but I thought the red stripe was a bit too much.























I wanted to introduce the color in a bit more subtle way. Looking through some car mags, I spotted an interior shot of a late model vehicle and I knew I had found the look I was after. It had contrasting piping outlining the seat inserts and did away with the piping along the outer edges of the seating surface. That was a start but not 100% what I wanted.

I've had cars before with black vinyl/leather interiors so I knew how hot the seats would get in the summer so I wanted something that would breath for the seat inserts. At the World of Wheels I had seen a '70 Mustang Mach 1 with the deluxe black interior with the horizontal red stripe and the comfortweave material in the inserts that I liked but the material proved to be a bit elusive. One day I noticed a BMW that had perforated inserts and I thought "BINGO" that's it. From a distance the interior would have the OEM look but on closer inspection the custom touches would start to come into view. With the basic look of the interior set, I wanted to also do something a bit different to the rear seat, but I'll save that for next installment.

Stay tuned!

ZEBRA 3 OUT

No comments: