10/7/08

Strip it....

With the interior and trunk floors stripped, I thought it was time to look into the bondo pigtails on the roof. So with a 3 1/2" Scotch-Brite wheel mounted in my trusty angle head grinder, I set about sanding away the paint on the driver's side sail panel....














































To speed removal of the bondo in the damaged area, I used a rubber mallet to hit the underside of the damaged area to break the filler loose from the sheet metal. I was then able to remove the majority of it in large sections by using a screwdriver to get under the putty and gently pry it away from the roof.

With the bondo ground away, I discovered two things. First, that the roof had suffered a severe blow in some manner and second, I was going to have to find another way of stripping the paint from the body because using the Scotch-Brite wheels created too much dust and more heat in the sheetmetal than I would like. In the following two pics, you can see the damage to the roof section and in the second you can see a couple pieces of the bondo removed from the roof (laying on the rear window package shelf between the left side speaker opening and the center defogger opening). At it's thickest point the bondo was about 3/16"-1/4" thick. Don't know how long it had been in place but it was still attached very securely to the roof metal.































Next installment, I show the rest of the paint being removed from the body.

Until then.........

ZEBRA 3 OUT

No comments: