9/4/08

Miscellaneous interior features III... continued

With the seat frame primed, it was time to add some color. I've found that Eastwood's Underhood Black seems to match the OEM general purpose black pretty closely, so I applied three light coats of the black and set aside to dry.

During the previous week, I had gone on eBay and found and purchased an OEM Power Seat Controller for a '92 Crown Vic. It had also arrived so I set about first of all seeing if the chrome bezel was removeable from the switch assembly. I started on my original seat bezel since it already needed replacing. Didn't want to gimp up my NOS part if I could avoid it. Was a bit tricky but using four small flat bladed screwdrivers, I was able to wedge them in between the tabs and the switch block and gently pried the bezel off. Using the same technique on the new piece I removed the bezel and after cleaning and detailing the original switch assembly, I applied the NOS bezel to my controller and PRESTO I had a new looking Seat Control! (NOS Controller pictured)































I could have used the entire NOS switch assembly, but the wires were a different color than the original harness, so I packed away the rest of the new switch controller with the NOS Seat Motor I was able to locate during my latest parts quest!

Since I wanted to wait until the following weekend to reassemble and lube up the seat track, I next set about detailing the seat motor, attaching bracket and drive cables. The outer jacket of the cables had seen better days. They were nicked and gouged pretty badly from years of use as well as being nibbled on by mice during their hiatis as a donor vehicle. I cleaned the metal cable ends and the attaching brackets with a fine wire brush then applied a couple coats of clear to protect everything from tarnishing.

I slid the metal drive cable from the jacket and cleaned all the old lubricant out of the jacket as well as from the outside of the metal cable. I purchased a spray can of white lithium grease for lubricating the seat tracks and hinge points, so I sprayed a heavy coat of white lithium grease into the jackets using the supplied straw. Then I took three lengths of 1/4" heavy duty black shrink wrap and applied new outer skin to the cables. I cut them a bit too long so once they were shrunk I could trim the ends at the proper place to expose the newly "polished" end caps.

I set everthing aside to throughly dry before starting the reassembly of the seat track. I messed around doing some other things and called it a day for another week. The following weekend, I reassembled and lubricated the seat track for installation on my reupholstered drivers seat. I decided to wait until final assembly of the car to change out the seat tracks. Beside keeping it detailed until I was ready for it, I reasoned the driver's seat would be easier to take in and out of the car without the additional weight of the power track until that magical day when it would go back in for the final time!

Here are a few photos of the finished Power Seat Track Assembly.......































The track turned out extremely well and once more I was very pleased with the results of my labor!

If you are following this blog or just check in on it occasionally, I would very much like to know how many folks are enjoying this saga. If you would, please just leave me a brief comment or suggestion on how I can make this blog even more enjoyable to all you who are watching.

I thank you in advance for you comments!

ZEBRA 3 OUT

No comments: